Windows Server 2019 has introduced a new install system insights component for the server platform. The newly launched System Insights functionality has been designed to bring more modern capabilities into the system. The new system is planned to be a part of the Windows Server Installation on your device and aims at the predictive analysis of your server. Enabling or installing it should ideally be an easy and straightforward task and should not consume much of your resources.
Let us check out the installation procedure for the System Insights component on your Windows Server 2019.
What is System Insights?
Before we can check out the installation options for System Insights feature on your copy of Windows Server 2019, we will check what exactly is the component all about and how effective it is to ensure a high end functioning and analysis of your server functioning.
If you are an administrator for the system, your primary objective would be to ensure that the system does run smoothly in a continuous fashion. There are several areas that you would be interested in to provide smoother functioning of your server and the resources thereof. These would include checking the health of a drive, the amount of memory consumed, and other essential aspects of VMs and other crucial elements of the server.
That is where the new System Insights module will be helpful. It brings in the local predictive analysis capabilities to a Windows Server. The predictive ability involves the use of machine learning capabilities to bring in the host analysis of the Windows server system data, locally.
The System Insights utility performs the analysis on your local level and thus does not need any cloud connectivity.
What are capabilities offered by System Insights?
Well, the system insights feature comes equipped with several advanced analysis options. There are a few upcoming plans as well focussed on the smooth running of your server resources.
Some of the included capabilities would be
- Check the predictive capabilities of your server resources.
- Invoking an on-demand predictive analysis or scheduling a regular check-up
- Configuring custom remedy jobs for the perceived results. This can help you resolve the issues automatically when the predictive capabilities detect such problems.
- Understand the capability predictions over time.
The System Insights feature is designed to receive an improvement in the days to come. The upcoming builds of System Insights will receive enhanced capabilities like optional clustered storage predictions, remediation PowerShell script recommendations, Intuitive Windows Admin Center user experience enhancements, to name just a few.
As long Windows Server 2019 is concerned, the System Insights feature will introduce the following four distinct capabilities –
- CPU capacity forecasting – This will help you analyze the CPU usage and forecast the CPU usage and use the ability to take corrective action to avoid bottlenecks
- Networking capacity forecasting – You will be able to predict the network usage requirements of each of the adapters. This can perhaps help you meet the needs if there are any issues.
- Volume consumption forecasting – This should help you avoid storage-related issues. The prediction takes care of the storage requirements.
- Total storage consumption forecasting – Somewhat akin to the volume consumption we discussed just now, it helps you forecast the future storage requirements across all the local drives, based on current usage patterns.
Yet another excellent option that the System Insights feature offers you would be the ability to configure your own custom rules. This can help you arrive at the best results based on the individual cases.
Does it cause any overheads? Well, not much. To put it in words from Microsoft, “Each default capability is inexpensive to run. Each capability will take longer to run as you collect more data, but they typically should complete in just a few seconds”.
In essence, that should not take more time as such. It will help you avoid downtimes.
How to install System Insights on Windows Server 2019?
There are multiple options available for installing and enabling the System Insights on your Windows Server 2019. Ideally, there are three most widely used methods you can use for installing the System Insights feature on your Windows Server 2019.
Method 1 – Using Windows PowerShell
The Windows PowerShell method has been one of the most commonly used options to enable or install System Insights on Windows Server 2019. However, PowerShell is a powerful utility, and you need to be extremely cautious when using it for handling your requirements. Make sure you know what you are doing.
Follow the steps here below to install System Insights using Windows PowerShell –
- Launch Windows PowerShell using the Windows X commands. Type in Windows key and X simultaneously and choose PowerShell (Admin) from the menu.
- You can even choose the regular PowerShell option and click on Run as an administrator.
- Type in the following command and press ENTER
Install-WindowsFeature -Name SystemInsights -IncludeManagementTools
Apart from installing the System Insights option, you can even use the PowerShell utility for managing the System Insights utility. You need to type in Get-InsightsCapability to get all available options on your System Insights module.
You can individually enable or disable the individual elements or components one by one.
Method 2 – Install System Insights using Windows Admin Centre.
The Windows Server also offers you another Windows-based option to install and enable the System Insights. The Windows Admin Centre is an excellent option to use for installing System Insights.
Here are the steps involved in the method –
- Launch the Windows Admin Centre.
- Connect to your server using the Admin Centre.
- On the Windows Admin Centre screen, locate the option for
- Choose the System Insights option from under tools.
- Click on the Install
That does it. Your System Insights feature will be installed on your Windows Server. Once installed, you can enable it with ease. Most of the essential elements on the System Insights utility will be enabled by default. There should not be anything you would need to do individually. You should find the status indicator for each of the capabilities under System Insights options on your Windows Admin Centre.
Method 3 – Install System Insights using Server manager
The server manager can be yet another excellent option that can be used for installing and enabling the System Insights feature on your Windows Server 2019. This should be one of the best options as the Server manager pops up every time you connect to a server. Unless, of course, you have disabled the automatic appearance of the Server manager.
Follow the steps here below to install System Insights using the Server Manager option –
- Launch your Windows Server.
- The Server manager should pop up unless you have disabled it from starting every time.
- You can launch it from the Windows Server installation with ease.
- On the Server Manager, click on Manage at the top end
- Now, click on Add Roles and features.
- Follow the wizard to begin the installation procedure
- Choose System Insights to install
- Continue with the suggestions provided by the installation wizard.
Once again, the essential built-in features will automatically be enabled by default.
The Concluding Thoughts
Those were a few insights into the Windows Server System Insights feature introduced for the Windows Server 2019. Additional functionality added to the Windows Server, the function is expected to improve your management experiences. The three major installation features offered by the system insights feature would be one of the best and provide you with a diverse option.
The predictive analysis offered by the System Insights feature would help take care of the preventive maintenance to the core. Install it on your Windows Server today if not already done.