Are you trying to fix Windows 10 Error Code 0xc00000e9? Maybe such a non-descript error message can make you go panicky, but don’t worry. It isn’t any major error or does not necessarily mean there is something incredibly wrong with your system. In fact, it is one of the standard errors and can easily be diagnosed and resolved.
Let us check out the reasons that bring up this error and the resolutions that can be helpful enough.
What is Windows Error 0xc00000e9?
As we already stated, the error 0xc00000e9 is a standard error that affects Windows 10. The failure can even occur in the earlier versions of Windows like Windows 8 and 8.1. It is essentially a “Blue Screen of Death” error and thus can be very dreaded ones in many cases. It has also been observed found on Windows 7.
Under ideal conditions, the error message is an indication of a communication error between your hard drive and the system. The primary issue in the case of the error message 0xc00000e9 is the hardware malfunction. However, the hardware malfunction should not necessarily mean complete failure.
It can either be a software failure or a hardware defect. The error message will refuse to reboot your computer and may indicate an issue with I/O device on your device.
The error typically manifests itself in the following format –
There was a problem with a device connected to your PC
File:BootBCD Status: 0xc00000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.
There can be several reasons that can force this error on your PC or laptop. The ideal reason tends to be the lack of several PC components not being able to connect correctly to your computer. However, there could be several other reasons that can cause the issue.
What Causes the error 0xc00000e9?
There can be several reasons that would cause the error message 0xc00000e9. Some of the most possible and prevalent causes can be summarised as here below –
- The integrity of the system files on your computer may have corrupted
- The contacts between the motherboard and hard drive may be facing the issues
- The Windows build (System Files) may have been damaged and developed hiccups
- The removable storage may have been incorrectly connected or disconnected. This includes external hard drives and USB drives.
- The hard drive or the controller may have been damaged
- The registry files on your Windows system may have been corrupted.
- The device from which you are installing Windows may have issues
Apart from these issues, one more reason for the dreaded BSOD error 0xc00000e9 can be the virus attacks. The virus or malware attacks can cause the corruption of registry entries corresponding to the Start processes of your computer. Some viruses can get past your antivirus solutions and create havoc with your system.
In most cases, troubleshooting can resolve the issue as it could be a software glitch. However, if your hard drive has developed problems, you may need to replace your hard drive. A lot of reasons can cause hard drive failure, prime among them being the expiry of the lifespan of the hard drive, usage patterns, and improper maintenance.
Sudden and illegal shutdown, while your computer is downloading some files, can also create the issues and corrupt data on your system.
A few other reasons, though not most common, can be
- Errors in new updates that may be incompatible with your computer and its configuration
- Constant installation and removal programs can also cause issues.
How to Fix Windows 10 Error Code 0xc00000e9?
The fixes you can apply to resolve the occurrence of error 0xc00000e9 on your computer will necessarily be dependent upon what is causing the problem. Since your computer can experience the mistake due to several reasons, there are as many resolutions available as there are the causes. Well, obviously!
We will explore a few fixes that can help you resolve the error 0xc00000e9.
Fix 1 – Check the Peripherals
The wrong connections could be one of the issues for the error 0xc00000e9. Here are the steps you can use to address the issue –
- Shut down your computer
- Disconnect all the USB cables connected to your computer except for the essential peripherals like keyboard and mouse
- Start your computer now
- Find if you are getting the issue after this step.
- Connect one device at a time and repeat the procedure. Restart your computer after each of these steps.
- When you find the error, you have confirmed that the issue is with the particular device.
- Change the cable and check if you can resolve the error
- If you find the issue is not resolved even after changing the wire, the device may have developed a problem.
The drivers of the concerned device may have developed the issues. You can check if you can resolve the issue by updating the driver.
Fix 2 – Check Advanced Setup Options
Advanced Startup option on your Windows 10 can help to address the concern by repairing your Windows installation. These steps would be helpful in resolving the concern –
- Go to Windows Settings. You can do this by clicking on the Start menu and then on
- Click on Update and Security
- Now on the sidebar, click on Recovery
- On the right side, you will find the option for Advanced Startup.
- Click on the Restart Now button under Advanced Startup
- Wait till your computer restarts. It will start in Advanced Startup mode
- Under Advanced Startup, choose Automatic Repair and follow the instructions.
Once the repair is completed reboot your computer and checks if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 3 – Rebuild Windows BCD
- Run your computer in SAFE mode.
- You may need to boot from the installation disk.
- Launch Command Prompt
- Execute the following commands and reboot your computer
bootrec.exe /FixMbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /scanos bootrec /rebuildbcd
Restart your computer and check if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 4 – Run a Disk Check
The error can also be caused as a result of disk errors. You can resolve the possibility by performing a disk check. Here are the steps you can implement to execute this fix –
- Boot your computer into safe mode
- Launch Command prompt and enter the following command. Please note that you will need to run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Enter the command chkdsk /f /r and press ENTER
- Press Y to confirm and press ENTER
Please note that the disk check will be executed next time you start your computer. If you want to check if it resolves the issue, you can reboot your computer. The disk check will take a considerable amount of time. Let is complete and restart your computer. Check if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 5 – Reinstall Windows
This can be the last resort among the software-based fixes you can apply to resolve the error message 0xc00000e9. You can either use the option for reinstallation with Windows PE or the Windows installation disk you have.
This step would require advanced skill levels. It is advisable to opt for the fix only if you have the required skill. Otherwise, it would be practical enough to go with the assistance from a reputed service center. Please note you may lose your important files and apps. We would advise you to take a proper backup before you begin.
Fix 6 – Check your Hardware and Hard Drive
If none of the above fixes solve the issue of communication failure, it would be an indication that the hard drive may have been damaged or developed severe problems. If you have another spare hard drive, you can plug it in and check if this resolves the issue in your case. If it does, it can be taken as a confirmation that the drive has been damaged.
Consult a professional computer service and let them check up the hardware. In fact, in some cases, the connections would be an issue, and a mere reconnection of internal peripherals can resolve the problem and restore the proper communication between your computer and hard drive.
A few other fixes can be checking your BIOS settings and rebooting your computer. The option to enter into the BIOS setting would differ from one device model to another. Check your computer manual for the actual possibilities for your model and manufacturer.
Ensure that your hard drive is configured as the first boot drive. If it is not, set it as the first boot drive and save your settings. Reboot your computer. If the boot priority was an issue, this can solve the problem and resolve the error message.
The Concluding Thoughts
Those were a few fixes that can help you address the concern if you are facing 0xc00000e9 error message on your computer. As you may have noticed, several software fixes can help you solve the issue and bring your laptop back to the working condition.
If any of these fixes resolve the issue for you, share your experiences with these fixes with us. If you are aware of any other repairs, share your inputs with us.Disclaimer: The Questions and Answers provided on https://www.gigxp.com are for general information purposes only. We make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose.